February 16, 2004
Today, I was strolling along Caltex House and The Arcade. It was after a healthy sandwich lunch with my colleagues (bless 'em, the redeeming factor of my job). The lunch crowd's all out and there're so many people walking past me, brushing past me. Suddenly, a question popped into my little brain.
'How many of these people here know what they are working for?'
Suddenly, I got scared. I'm afraid the answer to my question is 'not many'. I'm even more afraid I can't answer the latter part of the question myself soon.
Being in the midst of where capitalism occurs, I feel I'm getting disillusioned faster than I was when I only read about it in the Uni. The rich are getting damn richer, the poor are still struggling to co-exist, somehow. And everyone's pretty much screwed up, albeit in different ways, by this capitalist spirit. Some are and remain blissfully ignorant; some prefer to know but knowing is depressing.
It's stifling.
I spoke to Meisen about it just now. She's right, Sociology fucked us up. But I do feel better after talking to her about this and the possibility of marxism revival. That, is why we still love Sociology.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 16:02